Google

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Disaster strikes with EUR-JPY

Lost: 157 pips

My limit long order was fulfilled for 1000 units on the EUR-JPY pair at price 156.22 at 11 am.
My TP was 1 pip and SL = 156 pips.

At 5 pm, the price took out my SL. It had dropped 150 pips in 6 hours which translates to a 25% loss. This was totally unexpected. I had thought that my 150 pips SL would be sufficient.
But apparently I was wrong.

This taught me an important lesson: the SL for trading EUR-JPY should be more than 157 pips.
Maybe 200 pips would be more appropriate. And if, I was not willing to risk 200 pips SL, then, I should stay away from the EUR-JPY pair.

For CHF-JPY, a 100 pip SL was sufficient as evidenced by my 6 weeks' successful trades.

A good idea would be to do a study on intra-day fluctuations (daily peak-to-peak amplitudes) on the Ranging Pairs. This would help us decide the proper SL's to use on the respective pairs.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Your Affiliate Profit Machine is waiting -

Plus, making money online using it is as simple as 1---2---3!

This is how it works...

STEP 1. Tell the system which affiliate products you want to promote
STEP 2. Add some PUSH BUTTON TRAFFIC (it takes JUST 2 minutes)
STEP 3. Watch the system explode your list and up-sell your affiliate products for you!

Do you want to start making profits??

Click here to activate the system